Pursuant to the Quebec Mobility Agreement, lawyers from the Chambre des Notaires du Quebec may apply for a Canadian Legal Advisor Certificate.
A Quebec Notary who is issued a Canadian Legal Advisor Certificate is authorized to do any of the following in Ontario under Part VII of By-Law 4:
- Give a person advice with respect to,
- the laws of Quebec,
- the laws of Canada, and
- public international law.
- Select, draft, complete or revise a document for use in a proceeding with respect to matters concerning the laws of Canada, if the laws of Canada expressly authorize the person to represent a party in the proceeding
- Represent a person in a proceeding before an adjudicative body with respect to matters concerning the laws of Canada, if the laws of Canada expressly authorize the person to represent a party in the proceeding
Who can apply
A lawyer who is a member of the Chambre des Notaires du Quebec, and who meets the additional requirements set out in Part VII of By-Law 4, may apply for a Canadian Legal Advisor Certificate in Ontario.
Note: A member of the Chambre des Notaires du Quebec does not include a member who qualified for membership under the Entente entre le Quebec et la France en matiere de reconnaissance mutuelle des qualifications professionnelles.
- Original and completed Application for Canadian Legal Advisor Certificate for Members of the Chambre des Notaires du Quebec under Part VII of By-Law 4
- Non-refundable administrative fee
- Original Certificate(s) of Standing (dated within the last 30 days) from the Chambre and any other Law Society of which the applicant is or has been a member
- Proof of professional liability insurance coverage demonstrating that the professional services provided in Ontario are insured with a minimum occurrence or claim limits for indemnity of $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 per member aggregate
- Additional pertinent documents to comply with specific application requirements
All applications and pertinent attachments will be reviewed by Administrative Compliance. If the review reveals that the application and/or attachments are not complete, an Administrative Compliance Representative will contact the applicant to request additional information or clarification.
Administrative Compliance requires at least 15 business days to process the Application and will notify applicants in writing confirming their approval.
Non-refundable Application Fee
A non-refundable application fee in the amount of $565.00 ($500 + HST) must be submitted along with the Application for Canadian Legal Advisor Certificate.
Canadian Legal Advisor Certificates must be renewed by application each year. The annual renewal fee is $282.50 ($250 + HST).
Link to Application and additional information
NOTE: Contact Administrative Compliance for an Application for a
Canadian Legal Advisor Certificate Renewal for Members of the Chambre des
Notaires du Quebec
Links to Applicable By-law and the Quebec Mobility Agreement
Application related questions should be directed to Administrative Compliance by contacting the Law Society’s Resource Centre at (416) 947-3315 (toll-free within Ontario 1-800-668-7380 ext. 3315) and asking to be transferred, or sending an email to Administrative Compliance using the Contact Page.