Thank you for your interest in joining the Coach and Advisor Network’s roster of Advisors.
An Advisor has a total of five (5) or more years of legal experience and provides a lawyer or paralegal who submits a completed Request Form and Agreement (“Participant”) with short term supports to address client file-specific matters or substantive or procedural issues. It is expected that most Advisor Engagements will be resolved in a 30-minute telephone call.
Any questions on this application relating to self-identification are entirely voluntary and are not required to process the documentation. The Coach and Advisor Network (CAN) is committed to supporting diversity. Collecting this information can help the Network to assess whether it is meeting its goal of supporting racialized, Indigenous, Francophone and equality-seeking groups of licensees.
You can expect to hear back from CAN about your application three weeks after the date of submission. Your records on file at the Law Society will not be updated with the information you provide on this form. You may update your contact information through the Law Society Portal.
If you have any questions about the Coach and Advisor Network or this form, please visit www.lsuc.on.ca\coachandadvisor or contact us at email@example.com.
2. Law Society Number:
3. The Coach and Advisor Network will communicate with you through e-mail. Please provide your preferred e-mail address:
4. Should the Coach and Advisor Network or a Participant wish to speak with you by telephone, please provide your preferred telephone number:
5. Do you have a total of five (5) or more years of legal practice experience?
Year of Call or License:
6. You have experience working in the following legal settings: (select all that apply)
A law firm or practice
firm with 5 or fewer licensees
firm with 6 or more licensees
A government organization
Legal Aid Ontario
A community legal clinic
An educational institution
A non-profit organization
Other: Please specify:
7. You have experience practising in a rural setting or smaller community:
8. You have experience or expertise in dealing with client file-specific matters, substantive issues and procedural issues in the following area(s) of law or legal services: (select all that apply)
Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law
Civil Litigation - Defendant
Civil Litigation - Plaintiff
Criminal/Quasi Criminal Law
Intellectual Property Law
Landlord and Tenant
Ontario Court of Justice - Summary Conviction Offences
Ontario Court of Justice Provincial Offences Act matters
Property Tax Assessment
Real Estate Law
Small Claims Court matters
Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule matters (SABS)
Wills, Estates, Trusts Law
Workplace Safety and Insurance Law
Other - please specify:
9. Licensees who are currently the subject of any of the following are not eligible to become or to continue to act as an Advisor. Please check all that apply:
Any suspension of a licensee’s licence
An open complaint to the Law Society
An open disciplinary proceeding being conducted by the Law Society, or ensuing court proceedings related thereto
An open investigation being conducted by the Law Society
A petition or assignment into bankruptcy
An open Law Society focused practice review file
10. Licensees who are or who have been subject to any of the following may not be eligible to become or to continue to act as an Advisor. Please check all that apply:
Any discipline proceeding resulting in a determination of incapacity, professional misconduct or conduct unbecoming made against them by the Law Society Tribunal
An open Law Society practice management review, or spot audit file
A Law Society practice review report containing an opinion that the licensee is failing or has failed to meet standards of professional competence
A condition or restriction on the licensee’s license to practise or provide legal services
An active trusteeship
An active undertaking to the Law Society
If a licensee is subject to any of the items listed in question 9, this application will be declined or its assessment deferred until the issue is resolved. If a licensee is or has been subject to any of the items listed in question10, Coach and Advisor Network staff may request further information from the licensee to assist in assessing the application.
11. Tell us why you are applying to become an Advisor. What do you hope to get out of the experience? (select all that apply)
Giving back to the profession
Promoting diversity in the law
Hours for annual CPD requirement
Other - please specify:
12. Is there any additional information that you would like to share to help us determine your suitability to act as an Advisor for the Coach and Advisor Network?
13. The Coach and Advisor Network is committed to promoting equality and diversity in its activities, and to enhance legal services provided by and for racialized, Indigenous, Francophone and equality-seeking communities. The following question is voluntary and the information collected will be kept confidential by the Coach and Advisor Network in the Practice Supports and Resources Department and will not be shared with other Law Society departments. In addition to the purposes set out in this application for the collection of information provided in this application, this information may be aggregated and used for the purpose of reporting to Convocation on the diversity of the Coach and Advisor Network’s advisors. Information will not be aggregated or used for the purpose of reporting to Convocation if doing so may identify a specific individual.
I self-identify with the following communities: (select all that apply)
I do not wish to answer this question
Black (e.g. African-Canadian, African, Caribbean)
Chinese/East-Asian (e.g. Japanese, Korean)
Latin American, Hispanic
Person with a disability
South Asian (e.g. Indo-Canadian, Indian Subcontinent)
South-East Asian (e.g. Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, Filipino)
West Asian (e.g. Iranian, Afghan)
Other - please specify:
14. If you have a disability that requires some form of accommodation to facilitate your connection with a Participant, please provide information relating to the type of accommodation required, so the Coach and Advisor Network can best meet your needs.
The information provided by me on this application (“Information”) is collected by the Law Society of Upper Canada’s Coach and Advisor Network for the purposes of considering my application for approval as an Advisor, the administration of the Coach and Advisor Network, and as otherwise expressly set out in this application.
The Law Society may possess or may come into possession of, information about me and my practice, including but not limited to information arising from spot audit, practice review, administrative compliance, complaint, investigation, or discipline proceeding (“Existing Information”). I acknowledge that the Coach and Advisor Network will review Existing Information in its assessment of my application and of my continued eligibility as an Advisor.
The Information and Existing Information shall be used by the Coach and Advisor Network only for the purposes set out above and shall not be disclosed to any person, unless such disclosure is necessary to fulfill such purposes.
If approved as an Advisor in the Coach and Advisor Network, I agree as follows:
1. I have a continuing obligation to disclose promptly to the Coach and Advisor Network anything that may impact on my eligibility to serve as an Advisor.
2. I will exercise my best efforts to provide an experience that supports the continuing competence of Participants referred to me.
3. My name will be included on a list of approved Advisors of the Coach and Advisor Network which is maintained by, and which may be published by, the Law Society.
4. The Coach and Advisor Network retains sole discretion to (i) approve or decline my application; (ii) defer its assessment of my application; (iii) revoke its approval of my application, or; (iv) suspend me from the list of approved Advisors of the Coach and Advisor Network. I have no right of appeal from such decision.
5. My participation in the Coach and Advisor Network is voluntary and I will not be compensated in any way for my services as an Advisor.
6. The Law Society of Upper Canada and persons administering the Coach and Advisor Network shall have no liability, however it may arise, in connection with my participation in the Coach and Advisor Network or with any support or assistance offered and/or given to a Participant by me.
7. Without limiting paragraph 6, the use of any technology by me for the purpose of communicating with a Participant is solely at my own risk.
8. I will not have contact with any client of a Participant that would create a lawyer-client or paralegal-client relationship.
9. I will not disclose any information I obtain in the course of my engagement with a Participant except with the consent of the Participant or as required by law.
10. I will not use (directly or indirectly) for my own benefit, any information I obtain about a Participant’s business, including without limitation, business plans, business dealings, marketing plans, or other business information, except with the consent of the Participant or as required by law.
11. I have either obtained or waived my rights to obtain independent legal advice from my own lawyer with respect to the terms of this application prior to submitting it. I understand the terms, rights and obligations in this application.
I confirm my professional obligations under the Rules of Professional Conduct or Paralegal Rules of Conduct, as applicable, with respect to my participation in the Coach and Advisor Network.
I acknowledge that I am responsible for assessing my risk and exercising due diligence in determining the availability and sufficiency of insurance coverage, including without limitation, professional liability insurance coverage, for any claims brought against me arising from my participation in the Coach and Advisor Network.
By submitting this application, I hereby agree to its terms, consent to the collection, use and disclosure of the Information and Existing Information for the purposes set out above .
1. The information provided in my Application to serve as an Advisor of the Coach and Advisor Network is complete and accurate as of today’s date.
2. Except as disclosed pursuant to paragraphs 9 and 10 of my application, to my knowledge, I am not aware of anything that may affect my eligibility to serve as an Advisor for the Coach and Advisor Network.
3. I am in full compliance with all Law Society requirements, including requirements set out in the Law Society Act and the regulations and by-laws made thereunder, and the Rules of Professional Conduct or the Paralegal Rules of Conduct (as applicable).
I hereby certify the above to be correct and complete to the best of my knowledge. I understand that the Coach and Advisor Network may rely on this certification in assessing this application.
Using your browser print option, please print a copy of this form for your records before submitting.