The Distinguished Paralegal Award was created in 2011 and renamed in 2014 in honour of William J. Simpson, to recognize a paralegal who has demonstrated one or more of the following criteria:
- outstanding professional achievement;
- contribution to the development of the profession;
- devotion to professional duties;
- adherence to best practices and mentoring of others in best practices;
- a history of community service;
- personal character that brings credit to the paralegal profession.
John Tzanis is the recipient of the 2016 William J. Simpson Distinguished Paralegal Award. He will receive his award at the Law Society Awards ceremony on May 25, 2016, at Osgoode Hall.
Licensed in 2008, John Tzanis is recognized for his leadership in the paralegal profession.
He led the successful unification of the two provincial paralegal professional associations, leading to the establishment of the Ontario Paralegal Association. Tzanis is recognized for his extensive contributions on paralegal issues with colleges, the provincial government, and the Law Society.
In 2014, Tzanis, owner and operator of Continental Legal Services Professional Corporation, was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Ontario Paralegal Association.
W. Paul Dray, 2015
Paula Stamp, 2014
Elaine Page, 2013
Brian J. Lawrie, 2012