An Advisor provides a licensee who has submitted a completed Request Time with an Advisor Form and Agreement (“Participant”) with short term support to address a client file-specific matter or substantive or procedural issue. It is expected that most Advisor Engagements will be resolved in a single 30-minute telephone call.
Any questions on this application relating to self-identification are entirely voluntary and are not required to process the documentation. The Coach and Advisor Network (CAN) is committed to supporting diversity. Collecting this information can help CAN to assess whether it is meeting its goal of supporting racialized, Indigenous, Francophone and equality-seeking groups of licensees.
To be referred to an Advisor, please complete and submit this Request Time with an Advisor Form and Agreement (“Agreement”). The information you enter will assist CAN in making a suitable referral where volunteers are available. Your records on file at the Law Society will not be updated with the information you provide on this Agreement. You may update your contact information through the Law Society Portal.
You can expect to hear back from CAN about your request within two days from the date of submission.
If you have any questions about the Coach and Advisor Network or this Agreement, please visit www.lsuc.on.ca\coachandadvisor or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Law Society Number:
3. The Coach and Advisor Network will communicate with you through e-mail. Please provide your preferred e-mail address:
4. I am seeking assistance from:
A paralegal, where the inquiry is within the paralegal scope of practice
5. I am seeking an Advisor who is fluent in French:
6. My current Law Society status is:
1A - Sole Practitioner in Ontario
1B - Partner in a Professional Business in Ontario
1C - Employee in a Professional Business in Ontario
1D - Associate in a Professional Business in Ontario (practising in the manner of an employed lawyer)
1E - Employed in Education in Ontario
1F - Employed in Government in Ontario
1G - Otherwise Employed in Ontario
1H - Not Working
1I - Not in Ontario
1J - Corporate Counsel
1K - Legal Clinic Lawyer/Paralegal
7. I am currently working in the following legal setting:
A law firm or practice
firm with 5 or fewer licensees
firm with 6 or more licensees
A government organization
Legal Aid Ontario
A community legal clinic
An educational institution
A non-profit organization
Other: Please specify:
8. I prefer that my Advisor has experience practising in a rural setting or smaller community:
9. I am seeking assistance about: (select all that apply)
A client file-specific matter
A substantive issue
A procedural issue
Other - please specify:
In the following area(s) of law or legal services: (select a maximum of two)
Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law
Civil Litigation - Defendant
Civil Litigation - Plaintiff
Criminal/Quasi Criminal Law
Intellectual Property Law
Landlord and Tenant
Ontario Court of Justice - Summary Conviction Offences
Ontario Court of Justice Provincial Offences Act matters
Property Tax Assessment
Real Estate Law
Small Claims Court matters
Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule matters (SABS)
Wills, Estates, Trusts Law
Workplace Safety and Insurance Law
Other - please specify:
10. The Coach and Advisor Network is committed to promoting equality and diversity in its activities, and to enhance legal services provided by and for racialized, Indigenous, Francophone and equality-seeking communities. The following question is voluntary and the information collected will be kept confidential by the Coach and Advisor Network in the Practice Supports and Resources Department and will not be shared with other Law Society departments. In addition to the purposes set out in this Agreement for the collection of information provided in this Agreement, this information may be aggregated and used for the purpose of reporting to Convocation on the diversity of the Participants requesting time with an Advisor through the Coach and Advisor Network. Information will not be aggregated or used for the purpose of reporting to Convocation if doing so may identify a specific individual.
I self-identify with the following communities: (check all that apply)
I do not wish to answer this question
Black (e.g. African-Canadian, African, Caribbean)
Chinese/East-Asian (e.g. Japanese, Korean)
Latin American, Hispanic
Person with a disability
South Asian (e.g. Indo-Canadian, Indian Subcontinent)
South-East Asian (e.g. Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, Filipino)
West Asian (e.g. Iranian, Afghan)
Other - please specify:
11. If you have a disability that requires some form of accommodation to facilitate your connection with an Advisor, please provide information relating to the type of accommodation required, so the Coach and Advisor Network can best meet your needs.
The information provided by me on this Agreement (“Information”) is collected by The Law Society of Upper Canada’s Coach and Advisor Network for the purposes of making a referral to an Advisor, and the Coach and Advisor Network’s administration, and as otherwise expressly set out in this Agreement.
The Information shall be used by the Coach and Advisor Network only for the purposes set out above and shall not be disclosed to any person, unless such disclosure is necessary to fulfill such purposes.
Having requested the support or assistance of a volunteer Advisor, I hereby agree as follows:
1. Support and assistance received from an Advisor:
a) Is not to be used as a substitute for my research and analysis or my own professional judgment and advice to my client(s);
b) Is not to be used to help resolve a personal legal or disciplinary matter;
c) Does not include direct involvement of an Advisor with any of my clients or direct involvement of an Advisor in dispute resolution.
2. I am required to independently verify any statement of law, practice, procedure or facts made to me by an Advisor and to rely only upon such independent verification.
3. The Law Society of Upper Canada, persons administering the Coach and Advisor Network, and the Advisor, collectively and individually, shall have no liability, however it may arise, in connection with my participation in the Coach and Advisor Network or with any support or assistance offered and/or given to me and I assume full responsibility and liability for my participation and for any use that may be made of that support or assistance at any time.
4. Without limiting paragraph 3, any technology used by me to communicate with an Advisor is solely at my own risk .
5. The Advisor, if assigned to me, will have no contact with my client(s) that would create a lawyer-client or paralegal-client relationship.
6. I acknowledge that a referral to an Advisor depends upon the availability of suitable volunteers.
7. I have either obtained or waived my rights to obtain independent legal advice from my own lawyer with respect to the terms of this Agreement prior to submitting it. I understand the terms, rights and obligations in this Agreement.
I confirm my professional obligations under the Rules of Professional Conduct or Paralegal Rules of Conduct, as applicable, with respect to my participation in the Coach and Advisor Network.
By submitting this Agreement, I hereby agree to its terms, consent to the collection, use and disclosure of the Information as set out above, and acknowledge that the Coach and Advisor Network will use the Information for the purposes set out above.
Using your browser print option, please print a copy of this form for your records before submitting.