Application for L2 Licence (under section 27 of the Law Society Act and section 8 and section 10 of By-Law 4)
Subsection 2(2) of By-Law 4 states the following,
(2) Subject to any terms, conditions, limitations or restrictions imposed on the class of licence or on the licensee and subject to any order made under the Act, a licensee who holds a Class L2 licence is entitled to practise law in Ontario as a barrister and solicitor in the employ of the Attorney General for Ontario or, if appointed under the Crown Attorneys Act, as a Crown Attorney or as an assistant Crown Attorney.
The purpose of the issuance of the L2 licence is to permit lawyers from jurisdictions outside of Ontario (but within Canada) to practice law in Ontario with the condition that they must be only employed by the Office of the Attorney General for Ontario.
Who can apply
Lawyers from reciprocating and non-reciprocating jurisdictions who are in good standing and entitled to practice in their home jurisdiction may apply to obtain an L2 licence in Ontario under section 8 and section 10 of By-Law 4.
- Completed and original Application for L2 Licence (under section 27 of the Law Society Act and By-Law 4)
- Letter from the Office of the Attorney General of Ontario
- Original Certificate(s) of Standing (dated within the last 30 days) from each Law Society of which you are or have been a member NOTE: Your Certificate(s) of Standing must be replaced if it becomes more than 60 days old at the time your application is ready to be approved by Administrative Compliance
- A notarized copy of your Canadian Birth Certificate as proof of age and full legal name,
A notarized copy (front and back) of your Canadian Citizenship Card
- Two coloured passport photos taken within the past 12 months
All L2 licence applications will be reviewed and approved by Administrative Compliance (AC) The file will then be passed to the Office of the Registrar for the issuance of the licence. If the review reveals that the application and/or attachments are deficient, the Administrative Compliance Representative will contact the applicant to request additional information or clarification.
Administrative Compliance requires 15 business days to process the application.
The completed file will be passed to the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar will issue the L2 licence.
A non-refundable fee for the issuance of the licence in the amount of $125 + HST must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
Links to Application and additional information
Links to Applicable By-law
All questions about the application for L2 licence should be directed to Administrative Compliance by contacting the Resource Centre at (416) 947-3315 (toll-free 1-800-668-7380 x3315) and asking to be transferred, or emailing Administrative Compliance using the Contact Page.
All questions about the Licensing Process should be directed to the Office of the Registrar by contacting the Resource Centre at (416) 947-3315 (toll-free 1-800-668-7380 x3315) and asking to be transferred, or sending an email to the Office of the Registrar using the Contact Page.