Law Society Funds Free Legal Services Program at SickKids Hospital
The Law Society will provide funding to Pro Bono Law Ontario’s (PBLO’s) free legal services program at SickKids Hospital. The Law Society has agreed to provide $90,000 to support the program for the period of February 28 to December 31, 2011 while PBLO works to secure more permanent financial support. Release. Full report.
By-Law 3 (Benchers, Convocation and Committees) amended
Convocation approved amendments to By-Law 3 in response to issues raised at May 2010 Convocation when governance reforms approved in December 2009 were implemented. The amendments include the following:
- Allowing former Treasurers who are emeritus benchers to participate in Convocation’s debate
- Allowing grandparented ex officio benchers and emeritus benchers who are former Treasurers to request that the Treasurer, for good and sufficient reason, excuse them from attendance requirements for Convocation
- Allowing for remuneration for emeritus benchers at the same rate as elected benchers, but with no 26 day deductible period.
Paralegal Rules of Conduct amended re: paralegals as witness
Convocation amended Rule 4.04 of the Paralegal Rules of Conduct to reflect the wording of the lawyers’ Rules of Professional Conduct regarding a licensee acting as both advocate and witness. Full report.
Rules of Practice and Procedure amended
Convocation amended the Rules of Practice and Procedure to implement the pre-proceeding consent resolution conference. Approved in January 2010, the pre-proceeding consent resolution conference is an expedited investigations and hearing process for lawyers and paralegals who admit to conduct allegations against them. Full report.
Human Rights Monitoring Group
Convocation approved the Human Rights Monitoring Group’s proposed interventions in the following cases:
- lawyers in Iran;
- lawyers in Honduras with the Association for a More Just Society;
- lawyer William Cristancho Duarte in Colombia;
- lawyer Radeef Moustafa in Syria.
Former Treasurer W. A. Derry Millar was appointed to preside over the 2011 Bencher Election.
Professional Regulation Committee report
The Guidelines for Law Office Searches decision item in the Professional Regulation report was deferred to a future Convocation.